Sunday, February 2, 2014

The blog I never wanted to post

Jan 20, 2014

Disclaimer:
This blog is to inform my family and friends of my medical issues, therefore allowing me to avoid telling the same depressing story over and over. This blog is not for the squeamish or faint of heart, as it goes into some detail regarding the barbaric nature of the diagnosis and treatment of urinary tract disease. If history is any indicator, some humor, and other side issues may sneak into mix, but they are certainly not the main objective.

OK, so I stopped publishing blogs because there was no medical info disseminate, I wasn’t traveling, and nothing noteworthy in my life. Guess that I could have written “At home, nothing to report”.

On Oct. 12, I was going to update everyone that I was 4 years since my bladder removal operation, and “no evidence of disease”’ (insert happy dance here) but decided to wait until my yearly ct scan which was to be in Dec. At the end of Oct., I was shocked to find blood in my urine, or a better description....  Lots of blood with a little urine mixed in.

Blood in the urine is never a good sign, so off to the urologist for a Ct scan, and what I used to call a “poke and peek”..... an uncomfortable and humiliating procedure if ever there was, where the Doc. runs a camera up into the bladder.  So, the look into my bladder found nothing wrong, but the scan showed something “going on” in my kidney..... Not to worry, might just be an infection, however the blood and urine tests didn’t indicate any infection. Just in case, 3 weeks of antibiotic, and 3 week rest, and another Ct scan. Still something in the kidney.... so off to another doctor for a super “poke and peek” where he goes through the bladder and up into the kidney.

The attempt to snake tools up through my urinary plumbing, and into my kidneys, was a failure. Apparently, my rebuilt bladder is not navigable . The good news.... I was asleep for the attempt..... The bad news..... my urinary plumbing is now punishing me for allowing such a vicious violation. The worse news, there is something in both of my kidneys.

The next attempt will be to install tubes through my back, and into my kidneys. Then take samples out through the tubes. One doc does the tubes, and another collects the sample... talk about specialization. The down side, and of course there is always a down side, is that poking holes in my kidneys can allow runaway cancer cells out into the rest of me. The Doc. thinks that my right kidney might be blocked, so he will also install a stent into the ureter.

There really seems to be no other choice. The scans show something going on in each of my kidneys.... “thickening of the lining”.... same type of cells that line the bladder. If it is cancer, which is 80% likely, the answer for one kidney, is chemo, to prevent spread, then remove the affected organ. For both kidneys, they want to try to cure the cancer with chemo, and if unsuccessful, remove both kidneys. I shudder to think of life with no kidneys. Dialysis for 2 years, and, only then, a waiting list for a transplant????? Or maybe the Obama “pain pill”. Yikes, this is getting pretty grim.

Anyway, I am trying to move the diagnostic process forward, but am up against the dozens of things that cause things to take too much time.

I will keep you all posted.

No comments: