Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Complication

So, I am to get out of the hospital tomorrow..... probably. They want to get another cat scan of my kidneys. I do not really understand why.... it has something to do with “blocked” urine, that may have been causative regarding my blood infection.

I had my first chemo last Tuesday, and started to run a fever later that week. I figured that feeling lousy was just part of the “chemo” routine, and I would feel better in a few days. Years ago, my friend Carl probably saved my life when he convinced me to seek help.... turned out that I was very close to a diabetic coma.....

This time it was Karen. On Friday, she insisted that I get it checked out, phone call to USC..... urgent care.... then ER..... then transfer from Henry Mayo to USC Norris by ambulance. Much ado about nothing I thought. 5 days, dozens of blood tests, ultrasounds of my heart, x-rays, endless body fluid samples, and a never ending lineup of antibiotics later, I am deemed well enough to leave. Not for sure, but probably.

The plan is for 2 weeks of IV antibiotics administered at home... not my home, but Karens home. It is possible that I can get a “self administered” IV arraignment set up, which would allow me to make my planned trip to PA. Next week.

My chemo that was scheduled for this past Tues. Was rescheduled for this Friday. Assuming that my blood passes all of the tests Fri. Morning, then a 5 hr. infusion of Gemzar. I have noticed that in spite of the general awfulness of a chemo infusion, and the aftermath, I really have fought to get the dam thing. Guess that I am desperate to kill the cancer.

I had the good fortune to attend some high school football games this past fall, and noticed that the entire event had the unmistakable aura of “youthful exuberance”. Go to a rodeo, can’t miss the heavy layers of testosterone that blanket the event. You get the picture, places/events have a feeling..... graduations are oozing parental pride, etc.

I am not sure just what the opposite of “uplifting” is, but that is what you get when you walk into the chemo ward. Doom and gloom is everywhere, and seems to seep into every person and thing there. Really quite disturbing, and difficult to ignore.

It seems that this is just another of the battles that needs to be won in the ongoing war on cancer.

1 comment:

pdurant said...

John - This is where the stubbornness we inherited comes in the most handy. Remember when you weren't going to allow yourself to be pinned as a 14 year old wrestler and instead resisted to the point that your arm was broken instead? It is apparent you still have that same determination and fight in spite of the battering you have taken the last 5 years.

We're praying for you brother - individually, in our Tuesday night ladies Bible study, in the Sunday Morning service and through the church weekly prayer letter. Thanks for the update. I hope to see you next week.