Wednesday, February 19, 2014

First Chemo

Chemo 101..... find out who to call regarding your chemo appointment. Major SNAFU regarding my appointment to kickoff this phase of John Vs cancer.

I waited for a call on Monday to confirm my appointment, which is standard protocol  at USC Norris Hospital..... and waited..... and waited. Those of you who know me probably realize that patience is not one of my virtues.  So, I started calling..... nothing but voice mail, “leave a message and we will return your call ASAP”...... more waiting...... more calls..... no response.

I finally managed to find a person at a general number for USC Norris. I was repeatedly transferred to the same voice mails that had already failed me. Once again, those of you that know me, realize that I am unable to let these things go. So remaining true to myself, I continued to call the operator, and verbally battle to speak to a person.... any person.... At this point, the operator realized that transferring me to another voice mail would not get him out of the loop, started transferring me to real people. Picture me doing a happy dance.

Found out that Monday was indeed a holiday, presidents day, and that no one was in the department (oncology and scheduling) that I was calling. Mystery of no return calls solved..... Also found out that there was indeed a person at the “Day Hospital”, which is the place where chemo happens. It was then learned that I was most definitely not on the schedule for chemo on Tues. Only option left, call on Tues. Morning.

Tues morning, repeat of Monday process..... finally found out that chemo orders had been made that very morning, and someone should have called me. It is 10 am, I arrive at 11:10 am, for a procedure that takes over 11 hours.

The process itself is anticlimactic. Comfortable bed, TV, bathroom in room, sandwich for lunch, chicken for dinner, and many, many, many bags of IV fluid. I was surprised to learn how many drugs were involved, and how precise the timing needed to be. I left at 10:30 pm.

While receiving my drugs, I spoke with all of the people that I could not reach on Monday. I discovered that I must be mellowing in my old age, or possibly getting a bit more wisdom. I had not come across as angry or rude, but anxious and frustrated..... apparently judged as reasonable by the recipients. My messages motivated the doctor and the scheduler to pounce on my problem, and take care of business. My “message decorum” may also have been influenced by the respect that I have for the doctors and the support staff at USC. They truly are a first class operation from top to bottom. Great facility, great staff, great attitude, and some of the best medical talent in the world. I am amazed that this quality of care is available to someone like me.

I also realized that nobody in the health care business cares as much about me as me...... and that is very reasonable.

Wed. morning awoke with no appetite, and a bit of nausea..... will try some “fix it” drugs.   Comments are always welcome

5 comments:

pdurant said...

Having been through a few of your persistent "calling until I get the info I need" sessions in the past, I have no problem visualizing how Monday went down from your end.....AS IF the President's Day holiday has any meaning for a cancer patient about to begin chemo.

I also learned today that sending comments to your blog through my iPhone apparently doesn't work. I sent one after your oncologist appointment but I see it is not there.

How are you feeling today? Did they tell you what to expect or what you might experience? I remember when Tim had chemo, they were light on explaining what the side effects might be....I guess they figured it wouldn't be good to plant any ideas, better just to wait and see what happened.

What, if anything, did the doc say about your hope to still take you upcoming planned trip to PA?

JC said...

Hi they gave me printed info on all of the drugs involved.....
yesterday, kind of sick, today, a bit sicker but not too bad.
The doctor gave her blessing to travel, so I will be there on the 3rd.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jack!
Oh, how I wish you didn't have to go through this! Ugh, I feel for you brother. I'm glad to hear the report on your care team, though. Sounds like you're in the right place even if you have to wade through the phone system to get to who you need.

So happy you are still planning to come for our annual visit.

Love you,
Judy

Terri Lynn said...


Well haven't seen you on here today so I am hoping that you are feeling okay and not to sick. Knowing you, you are probably outside cutting the grass or something. Will be looking for more blogs. All is well here....love ya, Terri

Russell said...

How'd round two go?