Wednesday, May 20, 2009

May 20, 2009

Ok, preparations for tomorrows colonoscopy are underway. I just took 4 tiny pills, and am now confined to my MH, awaiting the designated time to begin drinking the dreaded liquid..... I have emptied the holding tanks, and cleared a path to the bathroom. What to do with the time, Hmmm, why not write the last travelogue piece for my blog.

The blog now returns to Tyler Bend Arkansas, home of high water, poisonous snakes, vicious insects, handicapped raccoons, suicidal buzzards, and dangerous rangers. In spite of the dangers, we had a great time, the sky cleared, the birds were singing, and the river dropped below the 12 foot flood stage. We were able to squeeze in two great kayak trips, a short 6-8 mile trip down river from the camp, and a 16 mile trip from up river to the camp. The buffalo river is indeed a beautiful place to see, the water was high, and flowing quickly. My experience is somewhat limited, but the high water seemed to result in faster but easier rapids, and no need to paddle. The condensed version is..... we saw many creatures, got a little wet in the bumpy spots, saw gorgeous scenery, and met some other river travelers. Altogether, more than enough reason to be there.

I spent the last few days of this adventure at an RV resort called Treasure Lake in Branson Missouri, as a guest of Alaska Bob. He was hosting an event for the Singles International, who graciously included members of other RV singles groups. Single RV'ers have to be the friendliest people on the planet. Treasure Lake is huge, over 600 RV sites, and has all of the amenities..... club house, lodge, dances, breakfasts, hiking trails, miniature golf, frisbee golf, indoor pool, horseshoes, tennis courts, shuffle board, etc..... OK, well I didn't see a lake, and there was the tornado warning at midnight, but it was very nice, not my kind of place, but very very nice. Branson, has hundreds of things to do, music shows, restaurants, variety shows, museums, dinner shows, theaters, comedy shows, etc.... very nice, but once again, not my kind of place.

In spite of being out of place in Branson, I had a great time for the entire 3 week trip. The people that I knew, and the people that I met were all truly engaged in the business of living, and they just sort of sweep me along..... Sometimes that is just what I need.

Notice the tree stump lodged in the tree near the center of the picture, must have been some very high water... Click on the picture for a better view

Blue heron nests

A herd of turtles





This is where blog pictures come from


These three guys were spending many days on the river


Lunch on the river

No comments: