Thursday, November 19, 2009

November 19, 2009

Well, Monday will be 6 weeks since my surgery. I am definitely doing better, physically and emotionally. I still have up days and down days, but it seems that there might be a light at the end of the tunnel. This fits into the pattern for this surgery...... 6 weeks to feel better, 6 weeks to one year to feel good.

My new bladder is beginning to work fairly well.... This means that I am starting to have some control over when I pee...... Woo Hoo..... I am recommending that all of you sell your "Depends" stock soon, it is almost certain to take a dive.

This whole situation reminds me that you don’t appreciate something until it is gone. Hopefully, I will emerge from this nightmare with a new appreciation for the simpler things in life..... a kinder, gentler, and more empathetic person. Of course, I might just turn into a mean, angry, bitter old man..... Right now I would put the odds at about 60-40..... LOL

Tuesday, I had to file opposition papers at the bankruptcy court in Santa Anna, a round trip of over 200 miles. It was my most ambitious outing to date, so my friend Carl went with me for company and as a relief driver. I held up remarkably well, so well in fact, that I thought that my endurance had returned. The next day, I spent about 40 minutes pumping out my black water tank, and felt like I had been hit by the swine flue, and run over by a truck. I ended up spending most of the day in bed.

I am anxious to get back to some kind of normal life, but think that it will still be a “good day, bad day” situation for a while. I am, however, very happy that things are heading in the right direction.

6 comments:

Claudia said...

Well, it seems part of the"old John" is starting to emerge. Its seems every time I talk with you, you sound better and more positive. I can't wait until my doctor lets me drive and I can pop in and visit on my way south.

Barbara and Ron said...

Sounds like two steps forward and one step back, but you're going in the right direction anyway. Don't be too hard on yourself - the peeing is a definite plus.

Barbara and Ron said...

Oh, and how are the legs?

pdurant said...

So glad to see that you are feeling better and having at least some good days. Enjoy the good ones, try not to overdo and remind yourself on the bad days that another good day is just around the corner. It is a long haul but you are tough!

JC said...

The legs are working much better, still a bit painful to walk, but not bad..... some days better than others.

There are a few surprise side effects from the surgery.... I don't want to go into too much detail, but the consensus is, things will get better with time. So far, this seems to be true.

Anonymous said...

Are you amazed about the things you are celebrating? I remember being amazed and incredibly happy that I could do laundry. I assume you are having similar revelations. Gives new meaning to "enjoying the little things." So glad you're doing better, bro, and wish you could be with us for Thanksgiving.