Monday, November 9, 2009

November 11, 2009

I am now 4 weeks out from surgery..... Good news..... my legs are starting to work again. I can now walk short distances without the walker. It is slow and moderately painful, but still a welcome improvement.

I am still anxiously awaiting the return of my energy..... as of now, it is a struggle to do anything. I had this same energy problem after my second TURB back in April. I think that it is a part of the anesthesia hangover, and is related to the length of time you are under. For now, I think that the best thing is to just wait it out. I do, however, feel guilty regarding the important things that are awaiting my efforts.

It seems to be time for me to venture out into the world, and I find myself very reluctant. It may take several months to gain some control over my new bladder, and the thought of public embarrassment is overwhelming. The best advice that I have found regarding this messy little problem is to always carry a bottle of drinking water, and pour it over my lap if necessary. Who knew that I would be spending my time learning to walk, and potty training.

People that know, think that this may be the most challenging emotional time for someone in my situation. The drama and trauma are over, the decisions are made, the procedures complete, and I will soon be able to take care of all of my needs. I now begin the slow process of learning to live with my new body parts, and the related limitations. My plan is to be kind and patient with myself, but still do what I can everyday. Do my best to handle problems as they present themselves, and try to get back to normal activities as soon as possible.

There are not words strong enough to express my gratitude to my friends and family. Virtually everyone that I know has gone out of their way to help me during this last year. I still feel humbled and unworthy.....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't ever doubt that you are worthy John. You are a good soul and a good person and worthy of every gift you receive.

ladynomad said...

You are a great guy and I'm so glad things have worked out for you. I'm proud to be your friend.

pdurant said...

So glad to know that things are improving bit by bit. I know your medical situation is not the only thing on your plate. I also know how hard it is not to over-do while you are impatiently awaiting the return of energy. On good days you'll feel like doing everything you can...usually followed by getting knocked back down for a day or two (talking from experience - albeit second hand experience with Tim's recovery). So my advice is to take it easier than you think you need to on the good days!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear your legs are starting to recover and your bladder is starting to work. Modern medical science still amazes me.

From my experience recovery takes time. I did too much and went back to work too early. I guess it's what we do. :-)

Love you.

J

JC said...

Thanks for the advice...... I am sure that the highs and lows are normal, but they still seem to sneak up on me. In any event, I am looking forward to getting into some kind of a normal life..... no drama, no trauma, no excitement, just calm and normal.

Anonymous said...

Amen to that!! Let me know when you find that. :-)