Monday, August 3, 2009

August 3, 2009

Ok, another quick update. I have decided to end my relationship with UPMC, and have made a date with the seductive and available Dr. Boyd at USC Norris. I do not have hard feelings, in fact, I have many fond memories and still think that UPMC is a wonderful hospital, with lots to offer. I am sure that, given time to heal, they will find another bladder cancer patient.

My appointment will be in the afternoon of August 11, oddly enough, the same day that the foreclosure sale is supposed to take place in the morning. A double header, so to speak. It is likely that neither of these events will yield definitive results. Dr. Boyd may want to get to know me better, and not want to “do it” on the first date, and my mortgagee has threatened bankruptcy, which would delay the sale. Still, I am pleased to have things moving forward.

On another front, I just got a look at my file from the local clinic.... I guess that I should bring everyone up to date. I probably had the first symptoms of my cancer back in the fall of 2007, and went to the local clinic. They found microscopic blood in my urine, and prescribed antibiotics. The problem persisted, and different drugs were prescribed...... Symptoms disappeared. Several doctors have said, very definitively, that “any blood in urine, straight to the urologist”, anything else is severe malpractice. Now, I am not generally the type to engage the lawyers, but I thought I might have no choice...... Back to the clinic file. On the notes from my 3rd and last visit, at the bottom of the page, away from everything else on the bottom of the page, were the following words..... “urologist consult advised”.

This advice never happened, I know me, and I would have been all over that recommendation. Why, what might be wrong, is this important, is this just defensive medicine? It is well known, legendary in fact, that I always question authority. It has been a habit/hobby of mine since I was.... well, about 4 years old. My family, friends, and I have suffered greatly as a result. I remember annoying the appointment person and the physicians assistant I was scheduled to see, questioning why I was seeing him a instead of a “real doctor”. I know that I would have demanded a discussion about that recommendation, and would In fact, not have taken it lightly.

Over the last 7 months I have noticed many warnings and disclaimers, in reports and notes, that never actually took place. At first I was amused, but now I see why, CYA Note to self, and everyone else..... Always get the reports and notes, and read them carefully. I guess that I will be fully prepared if I survive this illness, and am stricken with something else..... Maybe a career as a consultant, give seminars, go on Oprah.... Anyway, lesson learned, and one less thing to worry about.

After a moment of introspection, I realize that, during my years as a home inspector, I have likely been guilty of the same thing.

One last thing, everyone here keeps saying how good I look. Seems that everyone expected me to look like someone that had been through hell. My treatments were mostly contained in the bladder, and not the kind that made me nauseous and unable to eat. I can, however, assure you that if you could see the inside of my bladder, you would be horrified, get that look on your face, and start to ooze sympathy.

I have noticed, if I don't act sick, people don't treat me like I am sick, and that, is a very good thing.

4 comments:

Claudia said...

Hmmm.Do you suppose the "urologist consult advised" was an after thought...on the docs part after seeing you. Might check the handwriting and ink samples to see if it was written at the same time as the notes. Seems like a CYA case to me. On another note, glad to see you are starting a new relationship.

JC said...

Thanks Claudia, I took your advice and looked at it again...... At first I couldn't read the scrawl, but finally sorted it out. It says "call PM - if still have problem advise urological consult". No call that I can remember.

What was that I was saying about read everything carefully....

Yup, I am very excited about this new relationship, I think that USC Norris might be "the one".

Peggy said...

John - How is Dr. H taking the break up? The good news is this follow-up by a completely new doc may serve as a "third opinion". I hope everything is so clean that there is no ambiguity.

What's happening with your insurance? I had a guest here this weekend who said that insurance of any kind - health, auto, homeowners, you name it....only protects you from one catastrophe. Your medical insurance company apparently wants to avoid covering even the first major claim.

JC said...

I spoke with his nurse, Melissa, she said that the Dr. feels hurt, but has decided to move on with his life. Melissa also agreed to box up my stuff and send it to Dr. Boyd.

My insurance co. is still not paying. I now have to lodge a complaint with the Ca. insurance commissioner. I think that an insurance rant will find its way into my blog soon.