Thursday, April 9, 2009

April 9, 2009

There is not much to report... An “echo” test for the heart, turns out, is an ultrasound of the heart. Takes about 15 min. It was interesting, watching your heart beating on the screen, but of course, no results yet.

My next “poke and peek” (affectionate term used by those in the bladder cancer community... who knew that there was such a thing) is scheduled for April 20. My sister Peggy and I will again head for Pittsburgh on Sun. afternoon, and try to stay at one of the family houses affiliated with UPMC. They are really quite nice, inexpensive, and have everything that you need. Well done UPMC

Internet research continues.... still productive, and still depressing. I am convinced that, making the best decisions will get the best result, and understanding the process is necessary. It seems that if, on the first day, the Doc's told you everything that was coming, suicide statistics would rise dramatically. It takes a while to wrap your mind around the whole situation, and it is probably best to discover things slowly.

Fact of the day..... bladder cancer “ has the highest lifetime treatment costs per patient of all cancers”. Guess I better cut back on my lavish lifestyle, LOL, and make sure that I don't miss an insurance premium payment. I am thinking of becoming a democrat, and pushing for national health care... who thought that could ever happen. Oh well, desperate times call for desperate measures. LOL

On the emotional front, I think that I have contracted a phobia.... fear of latex tubing, and rubber gloves. I predict years of expensive therapy. Seriously, as bad as things are, they could be so much worse..... right now, my situation is not very life threatening (92% - 98% survival at 5 years). I try to remind myself, that when first diagnosed with cancer, I would have traded all expendable organs to be in this position. Perspective is essential.

Once again, thanks to all family and friends that are helping me to remain on track.

No comments: