Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Chemo, a whole new experience

So, It has been 7 days since my last chemo. I am still not feeling well, but seem to be getting a bit better as time passes. I guess that I am having all of the standard chemo side effects. Most of them are tolerable, but the worst is the fatigue, and complete lack of any endurance. It is hard to explain, but if I am thirsty, I would rather wait until someone is able to get me a drink than get up and go the 10 steps to get my own drink. I met an interesting man at the chemo hospital. He told me the story of setting in his chair, wanting to be in bed, but too tired to get up and go to bed. I said that I knew exactly what he meant, and we both had a good laugh. I still cannot walk more than 20-30 feet without getting out of breath.... If I walk more than 100 feet or so, my legs will start to burn just as if I had a long workout. Very strange stuff indeed.

I want to make note that this is not complaining, because complaining is not my nature. Complaining is also against my prime directive of remaining cheerful, optimistic and fun to be around. I am merely  reporting the facts for those of you who study these things. Lol This is, after all, a medical condition blog.

The silver lining, for those of you who believe that there must be a silver lining, is 20 lb weight loss, psoriasis is completely cleared, and I now have a good reason to ride in those electric carts at Walmart...... Woo Hoo Just thinking, if the chemo made me taller, and grew more hair, I would consider doing chemo just for the side effects even if I didn’t have cancer.  Plus, I can just picture those cancer cells suffering the same as I am...... kind of gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

I am now half way through the planned chemo, and this is my “Tues. off”, so I am hoping for a good week. I have plans to get a lot of things done this week. LOL

My cat scan that was scheduled for today has been put off until Fri. due to conflicts at the hospital. USC really does a good job with these things..... I will be able to see the Doc and the scan results later the same day as the scan. This scan will be compared to my last scan before chemo started, and we can see if the treatments are having the desired effect. If so, full speed ahead with the rest of the chemo, if not, I am not sure, but I think that we may change the chemo recipe.

Next update scheduled for after the Fri. cat scan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, can't believe you're half way through. Just read of someone who got their kidney transplant after having kidneys remove because of cancer. It happens, be encouraged.