Monday, November 1, 2010

November 1, 2010

Well, it has been quite a while since I posted here. I keep waiting for inspiration, but nothing seems important enough to publish, I guess if I am not traveling or having major medical problems, my life is just boring.

I have just passed my 60th birthday...... officially old. I was gong to say that I don’t feel this old, but that is not really true, I guess it would be more accurate to say that I am surprised to be this old. It seems just yesterday that I was young and tough.... willing and able to do anything. I spent an unusual amount of my time doing dangerous jobs and playing at dangerous hobbies. I had many close calls, some that caused great pain, and some that just made a good story to tell around the campfire. Maybe it is because I have been lucky my whole life, and am surprised when I start to have some of the problems that are expected at this stage of life. I don’t know, maybe everyone feels this way..... however, this is not what I expected.

Another birthday, my neo-bladder is now 1 year old. I am not sure how the time line for this goes, but my new bladder seems to have passed the rebellious and unpredictable stage of youth, and has fallen into line as another hard working organ, doing its part to sustain life. I can't begin to describe how happy this makes me.

I am still having some minor issues with my hernia repair. Trying to lift things like I used to causes setbacks, and am afraid to enter situations that may require abdominal effort. Minor repairs in a vacant rental unit are taking 4 times as long as expected, and I have had to cancel a kayak trip. Going and hoping for the best wouldn’t be fair to the group. Too much too soon, or an imposed change in lifestyle?

In any event, I woke up this morning, and am able to go out and do some useful things. Today it seems so simple, “look on the bright side”, “the glass is half full”. Today, to quote the tee shirt, Life Is Good......

No comments: